Thursday, April 14, 2011

Rant Thursday: University Journal- News or Not?

This last Friday, Brian Regan, one of the most popular comedians in the country and one of the biggest activities on campus for the whole year performed in the Centrum Arena. However, you wouldn't know it because instead the Journal is giving  entire pages to themselves of ineffective advertising to join their staff and reporting on stories that could be put off until next week: i.e. how Power91 is cooler than last year.

Furthermore, the most prestigious awards ceremony on campus, The Thunderbird Awards, was on Saturday and got one picture, not even of any of the awards recipients, with a caption. The Journal has been know to frequently misquote or misrepresent the quotations/stories they are given. I know several people on this campus who refuse to do a verbal interview with the reporters of the Journal because they do this, instead they will only interview via email so they have document proof of what was said.

I think it is a tragedy when our "New Source" doesn't report on these important things happening on our campus. That I can't trust what I read because I know how often the stories are misconstrued. I think there needs to be a higher standard and expectation for the Journal and until I see that improvement, I think it might be better to just save a tree and recycle your next copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment